Followers

Wednesday 4 March 2009

JOYCE HOUGHTON: FALL

My thanks to cousin Tracey for advising me about Mum's fall in a message to me on Facebook on Monday. I found the following in an email from my sister on Wednesday morning:

"
You can always email me if you wish to know about Mum.  
 
The day after you telephoned the home* she unfortunately took a tumble backwards down the stairs.  She was taken by ambulance to the RD&E where they discovered she had broken her shoulder.  There is little they can do other than strap it up and wait for it to heal.  She has been in some pain which is being controlled by painkillers.  On Thursday afternoon she will be attending the fracture clinic when they will reassess her progress.
 
She seems fairly settled the last few weeks I have visited.   I continue to try and see her every week.  I am getting to know the staff and other residents now and it is much easier to go
.
"

* In the absence of any recent news about Mum I telephoned the residential home on Sunday. Nurse Daniel was most helpful and gave me a full run-down. His description matched my own experience when I last saw Mum nearly a year ago. I took heart in this because whilst we can expect no improvement in her condition, there appeared to be no further deterioration.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am wondering if we are related.

I am Irene Mildon = daughter of the late Edward and Ethel Mildon.

Born in the UK, I now reside in Canada.

Nic said...

Irene, The Mildon family are from the county of Devon in the south west of England. Whilst Ethel Mildon (nee Elston) was my grandmother, her husband was Frederick not Edward. They had three children: Doreen, John and my mother Joyce. I plan to do some deeper research into the family's history later this year. There is a family tree of direct descendants of Ethel somewhere that goes back to the 17th century. I'll try and locate it for you. I'll keep your name in mind. Regards, Nic